Ceviche of Salmon
Ceviche of Salmon with Avocado, Green Chilli and Pink Grapefruit.
- 500g Salmon Fillet, Cleaned
- 2 Ripe Pink Grapefruit
- 3 Limes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Ripe Avocados, Thinly Sliced
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Green Chillies, De-seeded And Finely Chopped
- 3 Spring Onions, Finely Chopped
- 2 Handfuls Of Rocket (optional)
- Small Handful Of Coriander Leaves, Roughly Chopped
1. Remove all skin, bones and any grey flesh from the underside of the salmon. Remove any brown coloured flesh from the rest of the salmon. (It does not look good and can taste bitter.) Cut into thin slices.
2. With a sharp knife cut the skin and pith from the grapefruit. Segment each fruit, cutting in between the membrane; ensure that the flesh of the fruit has no white pith attached because it is bitter and unpleasant. Cut the fruit over a bowl to catch the juice. Squeeze any remaining juice from the membrane and pulp into the bowl.
3. Segment two of the limes in the same way as the grapefruit. Mix their juice with that of the third lime and add to the grapefruit juice with the olive oil and set aside.
4. Mix the avocado with the grapefruit and lime segments. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. Season the salmon over in the marinade and leave for about 5 minutes, until it starts to go pale and the texture softens as the salt and the citrus juices cure it.
6. When the salmon has turned pale, add the avocado and citrus fruit segments to the bowl, along with the rocket and coriander. Gently mix together so you do not break up the avocado or salmon too much. Serve with toasted pitta bread, ciabatta or Turkish pride bread.
This recipe for ‘Ceviche of Salmon’ was taken from: Tasting by Tom Kime. Published by Kyle Books, priced £15.99.