Steak & Oyster Pie
- 900g (2lb) Well-hung Stewing Beef
- Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper
- 50g (2oz) Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, Coarsely Choppe
- 1 Generour Tablespoon White Flour
- 700ml (1 1/4 Pints) Beef Stock
- 275g (10oz) Mushrooms, Slices
- 16 Gigas Oysters
- Roux, If Necessary
- 350g (12oz) Puff Pastry Or Billy's Cream Pastry
- Egg Wash
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
2. Cut the beef into 4cm (1 1/2 in) cubes and season. Heat half the butter and oil in a frying pan and seal the meat over a high heat. (When you add a little oil to the butter is raises the smoke point so you can fry things at higher temperatures.) Do this in batches, because if the pan is overcrowded, the meat will stew rather than seal. Remove the meat to a plate, add the onions to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, stiring occasionally. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Blend in the stock, add the meat and bring to the boil. Transfer to a casserole, cover and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms on a high heat in the rest of the butter, season, and keep aside. Open the oysters and put them in a bowl with their juices.
4. When the beef is tender, thicken the meat juices in the casserole slightly with the roux (if necessary). Add the mushrooms, oysters and the oyster juice to the casserole. Bring back to the boil and 2-3 minutes and taste for seasoning.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 250°C/475°F/gas mark 9.
6. Put the entire mixture into a pie dish and cover the top with pastry. Then brush with egg wash and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
The recipe for ‘Steak & Oyster Pie’ was taken from: Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen. Published by Kyle Cathie Ltd, priced £30.